A Snapshot of the Dental Implant Procedure
Here are the steps in the dental implant process that we’ll explain further in the paragraphs below:
- Thorough evaluation including physical examination, x-rays, and digital scans
- Implantation of the dental implant posts (these resemble screws and are made of titanium)
- Protective cover placed on implant site so healing may begin
- Implant fuses with the jawbone in a process called “osseointegration” (the process may take 3-6 months)
- Protective cover removed from implant site
- Temporary crown is placed over the dental implant while the permanent crown is being manufactured
- Temporary crown is removed and the permanent crown is placed
- You leave Brilliant Dentistry with a beautiful new tooth or several gorgeous new teeth and begin to enjoy life again.
The Dental Implant Process
- After a thorough evaluation, Minneapolis implant dentist Dr. Kevin Bril, will discuss a comprehensive treatment plan with you. There are many different types of dental implants, and each patient’s treatment plan is custom designed based on their needs and goals. If you have one missing tooth, your treatment plan will vary greatly from the patient who is replacing all their missing teeth that may have been lost due to an accident, tooth decay, or periodontal disease.
- If you have enough healthy jawbone to work with, you will not need a bone graft; patients without enough healthy jawbone may require a bone graft. Your gums will also be treated for any periodontal disease prior to dental implants being placed. It’s important to make your mouth as healthy as possible when getting dental implants. Dental implants cannot be placed over unhealthy gums.
- Anesthesia will be provided, and, again, this will vary from patient to patient. The type of anesthesia that will work best for your treatment will be discussed with you. Dr. Bril and the implant dentistry team at Brilliant Dentistry will prepare the gum, and holes will be made in your jawbone to prepare them to receive the implants.
- Osseointegration will occur in the months following the placement of the implants. Your dental implant will fuse with your bone and become stable and secure in place. Your jawbone will strengthen and grow around the dental implant, so your implant can function as a normal tooth root.
- An abutment (a connector) will be placed; they are necessary to connect the replacement tooth to the implant.
- The gums will heal after the abutment has been placed.
- Once healing has occurred, Dr. Bril will take an impression of your teeth so that your permanent replacement tooth (or teeth) can be made to fit.
- Your permanent tooth replacements will be polished and perfected, and you will leave Brilliant Dentistry with a stunning new smile that will last the rest of your life.
Benefits of Dental Implants
In addition to restoring your smile and allowing you to enjoy life again, dental implants are a popular treatment option because:
- The success rate of dental implants is one of the highest of all dental procedures
- Dental implants are stronger and longer-lasting than other tooth replacement options
- Dental implants look, feel, and function just like natural teeth
- Dental implants are easy to care for and require no messy adhesives or removing them to eat and sleep like dentures
- You can enjoy all the foods you love without worrying about slipping and breaking
- Dental implants do not affect the surrounding teeth like other tooth replacement options sometimes do
- Dental implants can help keep you free of gum disease
- Dental implants prevent facial sagging and premature aging
- Dental implants provide a beautiful smile you’ll want to show the world
Get Dental Implants in Minneapolis, Minnesota at Brilliant Dentistry
Why wait another day to have the brilliant smile you’ve dreamed about? Minneapolis implant dentist, Dr. Kevin Bril, and his compassionate dental team stand ready to provide you the smile you deserve.
If missing teeth embarrass you and negatively affect your life, please fill out our online contact form or contact the office by phone (952) 944-2052 to ask questions or schedule your new patient appointment. If you have dental anxiety or dental phobia, sedation dentistry techniques like NuCalm® will be discussed. You’ll be amazed at how calm, relaxed, and comfortable you will be at your dental appointment with sedation dentistry.